Friday 25 February 2011

Back in the Review Seat

Tonight I'm going to review Shakespeare's Richard III for the website I do theatre review for, PLaystosee.com. I haven't reviewed anything in AGES, and I've never read nor seen Richard III...So I need to do some research! 


Oh, Wikipedia, how I love thee!



"Richard III is a history play by William Shakespeare, believed to have been written in approximately 1591, depicting the Machiavellian rise to power and subsequent short reign of Richard III of England...It is widely considered to be one of Shakespeare's greatest plays.
After Hamlet, it is the longest play in the canon...The play is rarely performed unabridged; often, certain peripheral characters are removed entirely. In such instances extra lines are often invented or added from elsewhere in the sequence to establish the nature of characters' relationships. A further reason for abridgment is that Shakespeare assumed that his audiences would be familiar with the Henry VI plays, and frequently made indirect references to events in them, such as Richard's murder of Henry VI or the defeat of Henry's queen Margaret."

Hmmm...should be interesting! I've never seen nor read ANY of Shakespeare's histories. I hope it is as interesting as his other stories!  

I'm looking forward to doing this again. I've missed using that part of my brain! If only they would pay me...haha oh well...

Ok off to the Theatre! 

<3 Kim

No comments: