Wednesday 5 March 2014

Your Favourite Quote

This is a hard one, mostly because I love so many quotes. I collect them in files on my computer, although I hardly ever use them…I like finding little inspirational nuggets in small amounts of text, I suppose. I find the following three quotes especially touching.

"...if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts." ~Anna Karenina

This quote reminds me that there is no right way to think, or act, or love. We are all different, unique, but still so similar. When I read Anna Karenina, I literally stopped and wrote this down because I found it profoundly touching, the recognition that we all think and love a little bit differently, and that’s ok.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." ~Nelson Mandela

Nelson was such an amazing man. I constantly force myself to face my fears, knowing that good things will come from it. Even when I’m afraid to put myself in certain positions, I almost always tell myself to get on with it. After the first steps, it’s always easier and you almost always get something good out of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. Thanks for that reminder, Nelson!

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." ~Harold Whitman

This goes hand in hand with the courage quote. It can be hard to tune out the noise of the world telling you what you SHOULD do, instead doing what you WANT to do, in terms of job options and opportunities. Don’t be afraid to do what you love, it seems like the people who are infinitely more satisfied with their jobs are those that love what they do. I’m still working on getting there, piecing together the puzzle of what I really love and what makes me come alive, but I know that it’s getting closer.

And at that I’ll leave you. I went to Puebla today for work and I’m exhausted and slightly brain dead. I hope this helps you remember some of your own favourite quotes.


Kim x

No comments: