Saturday 8 March 2014

A wee rant, thank you for listening

I’m not having a good day. I’m having a ‘I hate fieldwork, why am I doing this, I’m too stressed out and want to freak out/roll up in a ball and cry’ day. They don’t happen often, but when they do they really are the worst thing ever. Fieldwork can be a really lonely, crappy thing. You’re dropped into a foreign (usually) culture, not speaking the language, alone, and expected to discover some unknown, never-studied fascinating thing, then create an amazing, paradigm-shifting piece of anthropological work while also not losing your sanity and ‘enjoying yourself’. Right.

I’ve been run around, left waiting, and waiting some more, then cancelled on by numerous people over the past few months. It’s normal, it’s Mexico, blah blah blah. But right now I can’t deal with it. I am tired of wasting the precious little time I have left. So no, I am NOT happy to wait another hour and a half for you and your patient to arrive. I’m going home. Kindly jog off and leave me alone.

When these days happen, you literally want to talk to no one, do nothing, and cry to yourself, plotting your escape form the hellhole you call a field site. Usually all while eating cake. I’m not eating sugar now though, so for me it’s going to be Syrah. I don’t want to think about the good parts of Mexico right now. I just want to be at the beach. In two weeks I’ll be there, but right now it doesn’t feel soon enough. So I’m off to make lunch and open my Syrah, and dream about Playa del Carmen and forget about the idiots who have ruined my afternoon.

Soon, Playa del Carmen...soon! 













Happy weekend!

Kim x

No comments: